Saturday, January 17, 2009

Challah French Toast

I won't lie to you people, I have serious challah connection. That means pretty much every Friday I end up with a delicious "water challah" which is a challah made without eggs, and is coincidentally vegan. I could tell you why I have such a serious hook up with, but then I'd have to kill you. J/K. Kind of.

Anyhoo, this challah makes amazing french toast. For those of you who aren't lucky enough to easily get water challah, you could make your own, or use another vegan bread of your choice.

There are a lot of vegan french t
oast recipes out there, some using silken tofu or nutritional yeast, but I keep mine pretty simple. Below is my recipe, which I have been told by meat eaters is better than the egg-drenched kind. Enjoy!

What you need:


5-8 slices challah (or whatever bread you are using)
1.5 cups soy milk (I use vanilla)

3 tbs. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbs. corn starch
pinch salt

a few shakes of cinnamon
canola oil


In a medium bowl, w
hisk together all ingredients except for bread (obviously) and oil until well combined. Pour mixture into a shallow baking or casserole dish.

Heat some canola oil up in a pan. Carefully dip bread in mixture, then flip and coat the other side. Cook one or two slices at a time in oil until lightly browned on both sides, and then throw in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until all your slices are done.


Serve warm with earth balance and real maple syrup- YUM!


p.s. If you have leftover, wrap in foil and keep in the fridge to reheat in the microwave, it will keep and still be delish after one or two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment