Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sesame Tofu with Soy-Lemon Dipping Sauce






I'm not trying to brag, but I'm pretty good at making rice.  Some people like to use rice steamers, but I prefer the old fashion sauce-pot way.  I've only ever messed it up once, for which I blame myself, iChat, and a good friend who lives in L.A..  I also tend to make brown rice more often; it's great because it takes an hour to simmer, during which you will have enough time to make the rest of this meal. 
The Sesame Tofu recipe is from The Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers cookbook, which holds a dear place in my heart because it was my first all-vegetarian recipe book.  They use spinach as their recommended vegetable, but one of the great things about this dish is that you can use anything you have on hand that you think would taste good stir-fried in the sesame seeds and oil left over in the pan from cooking the tofu. 
I do have a few recommendations: Go crazy when you're coating the tofu in the sesame seeds! The recipe says to press both sides in a 1/4 cup, but I think it's better here to use 
your gut, pour some seeds on a plate, and roll all the sides. 

While the tofu is cooking, or after your have added your vegetables to the pan and are sauteing them, it's pretty easy to multitask and make this simple, elegant dipping sauce courtesy of the one, the only, Martha Stewart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment