Sunday, February 22, 2009

Red Wine Roux avec Setian!



I am almost finished reading "Julie and Julia", a memoir of a woman who makes all of the recipes from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in the span of one year (and I think the movie is coming out soon?). Next, I am going to read Julia's memoir... So you could say I am on a bit of a Julia Child kick.

Although I wouldn't be able to attempt most of the recipes on "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" (not sure what the vegan equivalent of brains or kidneys would be), I did feel inspired this evening to attempt a red wine roux sauce from "Veganomicon".

My co-chef and I began by making a basic roux (which we were further inspired to attempt after watching the last episode of Top Chef) then added shallots, garlic, celery, veggie broth (which I made from scratch yesterday!!!) and stirred it until it thickened. Then we added some red wine and let it bubble away until it was thick and purple, and finally we put it on top of some homemade seitan and mashed potatoes.

The end result was highly delicious!! C'est bonne! Celine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment