Tuesday, February 24, 2009

soggy rice, not so nice.



So, I do not have Ashley's gift for making perfect brown rice. I find brown rice extremely frustrating to cook, and have burnt or overcooked every single pot I have made in the past, including in my mother's rice cooker. I had pretty much surrendered to making white rice or, horror of horrors pre-boiled microwavable Trader Joe's rice. Not as tasty as brown rice, and not nearly as much nutritional value either.

But then, I started to receive my new subscription of "Cook's Illustrated" (thanks mom!) and my life has changed!!!!!

I don't think I can legally post the recipe or whatever, but let's just say you boil about two cups water, and then stir in about a cup of brown rice. You then might throw the whole thing in an 8x8 glass baking dish, cover it with foil, and pop it into a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes or so...

And I'm telling you my friends, perfect rice, EVERY TIME.

If you're feeling festive, you could throw in a handful or two of some frozen peas (my favorite addition to just about anything), stir it up, and pop it back in the oven for a coupple of minutes to warm them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment